Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lá Fhéile Padraig... (oh great, I can break my Lenten fast today!)

Did you know that?

Did you know the unwritten rule about breaking your Lenten fast on St. Patrick's Day?

Well I did! (I mean I did know, not that I did break my fast.... not yet anyway!)

As a kid, Paddy's Day was great cos you got a day off AND you got to eat chocolate, which is usually what I gave up as a kid. 

Having parents who worked in a chocolate factory didn't help!!!

But to be honest I haven't been great this week anyway. I have eaten a lot! But don't worry -- I have plenty of great excuses, I mean reasons!

1. My back is killing me!
I am in a lot of pain this week with my back. I have osteoporosis (sp?) and it gives me trouble every so often. So obviously... I have to eat more. 

2. It's my mam's anniversary this week!
Yesterday marked the 4th anniversary of my mam's sad goodbye. I remember the days leading up to her death very well and I've been a bit gloomy. So obviously... I have to eat more.

3. I'm not sleeping very well. Probably to do with the reasons above. But I'm having all sorts of wacky dreams and waking in the middle of the night. So obviously... I have to eat more.

4. It's Paddy's Day. So obviously.... 

Can you see a pattern forming here???

It is so easy to get back in to my old way of thinking and acting. And my excuses are fairly reasonable (ok except for no. 4), but who could blame me if I ate all of the 12 iced buns in front of me. (I kid you not -- there are 12 iced buns in front of me...) But I won't. 

I'll eat my dinner. And maybe have a snack at supper time. 

I'll go to bed and get up tomorrow morning and start afresh. 

I've always loved Paddy's Day but it can play havoc with your Lenten fast... if you let it!

No comments: