Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The colder I get the hungrier I get... what's THAT about?

Ok it's no suprise to you that I want to eat. If you've been reading this blog for more than a nano second you'll have got that. But this cold spell is really playing havoc with my determination NOT to eat too much.

I'm SO hungry.

I don't just want food, I want MORE food, no twice that much, NO ALL OF IT, I WANT IT ALL! IT'S ALL MIIIIIIIINE (evil laughter etc....)

OK, phew! Glad I got that out of my system.

It's been a while since I ate while I was cooking. It was a terrible habit of mine. While the dinner was on I would eat a sandwich. I could not, no... would not, wait until the food was ready. I had to eat NOW.

And I have worked hard to get out of that habit and go back to enjoying the cooking experience and being ready for the meal when its ready.

I'm putting it down to the cold and it might not be it. But if it isn't then it's a big coincidence. The cold spell has had me heading for the fridge - big style. In fact last week I had dinner on, while the dinner was on I made a sandwich and while I was making the sandwich, I WAS EATING THE MEAT!! OUT OF CONTROL OR WHAT!!!

But I suppose the fact that I recognised it is a good thing.

I had to stay home from work yesteday cos of the weather. I stayed in my 'judith chalmers' and worked on some college stuff.
I was very strict with myself. I had a good brekkie. and left the kitchen straight away. Then I was determined to wait til 1 for lunch. I didn't do too bad. I tried to sneak out of the bedroom without seeing myself at about 12.30. I caught my self at the bottom step and after a good telling off (and some worried looks from people walking by the house) I had my lunch and went back upstairs.

It has been hard work; and I can sense the old habits trying to catch hold of me again. But like I said, I am aware of it. And scary as it is, it is certainly more empowering!!

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says this...

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Now don't misunderstand me, or that scripture. This is not about flagellation or deprivation. It is about discipline and control. Something I have lacked for a long time. The Bible also says that 'all thinga are permissable but not all things are beneficial". So yeah I can have what I like. But some of the time what I'd really like won't benefit me.


Ohhhhhhh it's suddenly gotten cold in here. Any one got anything warm I can borrow?

Like hot fudge Sundae...

1 comment:

Richard Miles said...

Yes, my darling, I sympathise. I want to eat more this weather too. I don't know whether the cold speeds up (or is it slows down?) the metabolism, But I think you do get more hungry the colder the weather. As you say though, the important thing is that you recognise it. Keep going - I'm with you 100%. XX