Monday, November 10, 2008

Anyone for 'stir-about'?

I've just rediscovered Porridge. No, not the old comedy series (I'm showing my age now). But good old Flahavans Oatlets. Hot, yummy, milky with a bit of sugar.

My dad calls it 'stir-about'. Seemingly it's what he had for breakfast every morning for... ever. Brown bread and stir about was the staple breakfast menu in my dad's day. Now has a fried breakfast every morning but that is for another blog...


But porridge is really gorgrous, filling and low in points. I had it for dinner one night this week; trying to save points before the weigh in. I know I'll probably get tired of it. Like I do all healthy stuff. Funny hnw I never get tired of chocolate!!!!


But this whole change of focus food wise.... it has to be a permanant. I know that now. I have lost and gained so much weight over the years. And I have learned that if I am not actively trying to lose weight then I am putting it on. I never stand still weight wise. Since I stopped doing weight watchers at the end of 2001, 7 years ago, I have gained 7 stone. SEVEN STONE! in 7 years. 1 stone for each year I've been off the wagon.

Thankfully I am on my way to the 2 stone down mark; but I don't think losing it is as much of an issue as keeping it off; permanantly!

I can't imagine myself being another 5/6 stone down. I can't look at it in those terms. It's too much. But I do need to look ahead a little. Cos Christmas is coming. And I could do a lot of damage to the weight loss if I'm not careful. Looks like I'll be eating lots of parridge...

Again I can see a parallel in my spiritual life. If I am not actively moving towards God I am naturally veering away from Him. I have always felt that the weight issue is a spiritual one for me. And now I see it as a picture constantly reminding me that I never stay still. I am either moving towards or away from God.

My staple food, my 'stir-about', the Word of God, is really wholesome and filling. I should stick to that really; but I should also remember that chocolate is always calling me away...

No comments: